“Hats Off to Our Hosts
Annual Lawn Party by the Putnam History Museum
July 13th, 2013 – 5:00-7:00pm (Rain date July 14th)
PHILIPSTOWN, NY- The Putnam History Museum Board invites the community to the annual Lawn Party at the home of Jennifer and Joseph Mercurio, the historic Benjamin and Tinky Frazier house, 40 Coyote Rise, Garrison, NY. This year’s theme will be “Hats Off to our Hosts” in honor of Benjamin Frazier for serving as president of the Putnam Historical Museum (then known as the Putnam County Historical Society) and leading the transition effort of the Boscobel home to the nationally recognized destination that it is today.
As a “hat’s off” tribute to the honoree, Lawn Party guests are encouraged to don their favorite lawn party hat (or even create their own). In addition to the “summer whites” attire, hats have often been part of the Putnam History Museum annual lawn party tradition.
This summer’s event will feature a hat competition that will be judged by the following categories:
• Most Original – Be it your own creation, an old favorite or a new find, this category is calling for the unique and innovative hats
• Most “Boscobel” – Honoring the glorious Federal home and gardens, along with the historic contributions of Ben Frazier, this category is looking for the most “Boscobel” influenced hat.
• Most “PUNK: Chaos to Couture” – This DIY category is inspired by The Metropolitan Museum of Art’s (the MET) latest Costume Institute exhibition, PUNK: Chaos to Couture and encourages the do-it-yourself method of hat creation.
Winning lawn party hats will receive prizes range from the locally inspired to a day at the MET. Hats will be judged by members of the community whom have contributed in some form to the world of fashion and design:
• Gale Epstein, designer and founder of Hanky Panky Lingerie
• Bill Hicks, current President of the Putnam History Museum and former Hat Contest “winner”
• Charlotte Palmer Lane, costume designer for major and independent film, television and theater
• Irene O’Garden, author, poet, and performer
• Lithgow Osborne, designer and manager of Malmaison Antiques in Manhattan
The Putnam History Museum Board’s annual Lawn Party is an outdoor social gathering in the 19th century Hudson Highlands tradition. Each year, community members and history lovers gather to celebrate and raise funds to support the Museum’s mission and programming.
The Lawn Party is presented to the community by the generous hosts and current residents of the historic Frazier home, Jennifer and Joseph Mercurio. The Lawn Party Planning Committee includes Co-Chairs Jody Sayler and Christy Guzzetta, and committee members Laura Lee Holmbo, Ed Preusser, Paula & John Provet, Doris Shaw and Nic Taylor.
Lawn Party Details:
? Saturday, July 13, 5-7PM; rain date Sunday, the 14th
? 40 Coyote Rise, Garrison, NY
? Summer-whites attire (wear your favorite chapeau trimmed to the nines – or create your own – and you could win the grand prize!)
? RSVP by July 8th to 845-265-4010 or putnamhistorymuseum.org
? Midsummer beverages and refreshment
? Tickets are $50 each ($60 each at the door); go to http://phmlawnparty.eventbrite.com/# to purchase advance tickets
? Contributions are fully deductible as provided by law; for further contribution information, please call 845-264-4020×10
For additional Lawn Party or Putnam History Museum information, please call 845-265-4010, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Putnam History Museum Mission
The mission of the Putnam History Museum is to collect, preserve, interpret, and present the history of Putnam County, Philipstown, the West Point Foundry, and the Hudson Highlands. Through exhibitions, programs, and events, the museum uses its collection to engage the community with the vibrant history of our region – and to foster greater understanding of the role it has played in the growth of our nation.
Putnam History Museum Social Media
Join the conversation with the Putnam History Museum on Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram and Pinterest
# # #
Additional news available at www.putnamhistorymuseum.org
Connect with us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PutnamHistoryMuseum
Connect with us on Instagram: http://instagram.com/putnamhistorymuseum
Connect with us on Tumblr: http://putnamhistorymuseum.tumblr.com
Connect with us on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/putnamhistory/
Contact: Mindy Krazmien, Executive Director (845) 265-4010