Sad story today by Greg Clary and Rob Reyser about a White Plains woman who died after eating poisonous mushrooms she picked near the Bedford rest area on Interstate 684.
A couple of quotes from the story:
“One cannot assume that because all mushrooms are ‘natural,’ they are therefore all edible,” said Dianna Smith, vice president of the Connecticut-Westchester Mycological Association. “A relatively few mushrooms will kill a person, but those are the ones we should know best. They include the Destroying Angel and the Death Cap – both beautiful, but deadly. We should also learn to distinguish them from any look-alikes. When in doubt – throw it out.”
“Mushrooms are deceptive,” said Dr. Joshua Lipsman, the Westchester County health commissioner. “You can see a mushroom that’s growing and think it’s just like the one you get at the grocery store. But it can be deadly poisonous.”
Here’s a photo by Rory Glaeseman of Dr. Roy Halling, curator of mycology at the New York Botanical Gardens, with one of the mushrooms from the site:
And a photo of a death angel mushroom that Kent Loeffler sent to me yesterday. He’s with the Dept. of Plant Pathology at Cornell in University.